July 26, 2008

How can I make studying a priority and how do I study properly?

Q. I can't seem to concentrate in class on some days. To make matters worse, I go home and watch tv or I rather do laundry, cook, and clean, then study. I think I'm afraid if I'll start to study I will waste an hour not understanding the material and be upset with myself. I need tips on how to buckle down on my studying. My scholarship depends on it.

Most importatly how do you A scholars prioritize and study properly?

A. Here are some other great tips that took me from academic probation to having a 4.0. Hopefully a few of them will work for you.
* Sometime within the same day as the class you took, sit down with your notes and review. I typed up my notes because I had bad handwriting and to get rid of all of the doodles. My review of my notes really helped because if it was within the same day I had a good chance of remembering what the heck those notes were about and could reword it or elaborate on it (since sometimes you might not have time to write everything down during class). This makes for less cramming and more retention if every night is a minor study session. It doesn't take as long as you might think.
*Go to class. A lot of students think they can miss a class here and there and be okay. Not true. School is your job right now. You wouldn't call in sick to work a couple times a month because you'd get fired. Not to mention once you start missing class it's a hard habit to break. If morning classes are hard to get up for, avoid them like the plague. If evening classes interfere with social activities, television, etc. avoid those like the plague. One semester I scheduled myself to have classes only on Tuesday and Thursday. I went from 8 am to 5 pm straight, no lunch, etc. Seems terrible? I found once I got to that first class, I was set up to keep going all day since I was already there.
*Visit professors during office hours. Go in and discuss some of the material with him. Not only might they add more insight to help you understand or retain better but also when you actually need help, he will take you more seriously because you have taken his class seriously all along.
*Don't sit near friends. Don't do the majority of studying with friends. Friends tend to be more of a distraction than you think. Study sessions with a friend are good here and there but the majority of it needs to be flying solo.
*Make flash cards. I used to do this when studying for the GRE and while traveling between my classes would flip through a few of them. This goes back to the whole little bits as opposed to cramming.
*Create a non-distracting environment. If silence drives you nuts, put some music on but make it music that sinks well into the background, not stuff that you want to sing along with. Turn the cell phone off. You are studying. There is rarely, if ever, anything so important that it can't wait for 30 minutes. You don't usually take your phone in the shower and usually you can't leave it on in class. That hasn't killed you either.
*Take notes while you read. It helps you stay focused and your can't write things down unless you are actually processing them.
*Reward yourself for a job well done. If you get five hours of studying done throughout a whole day (with breaks and whatnot), take the evening off and do something you enjoy. If you feel like you can earn a fun time, it may help you buckle down.
*The most important thing in the world is to not leave things until the very last minute. I stayed in a couple of Friday nights to write papers because I knew otherwise I wouldn't do so great. It wasn't always easy to give up having a good time to do work but it paid off so much in the long run. Which is going to matter more, that one party that no one who went really remembers a year later anyway or getting an A in a class instead of an A-? Or make yourself get an hour or two of work done and take breaks to get ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am also a college student and face the similar problem...... i become confused with my matter... i think these above instructions could prove to be very usefil for me... i will try to follow them. thanks.